The Grand Theft Auto Series is known around the world as being one of the biggest gaming franchises ever; but, there are facts most people don’t know about this classic line of games. The truth is that, due to the massive success of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and the huge open-world design it unfolds, there are bound to be plenty of unknown facts. Below are 5 interesting things you likely never knew about Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas:
1. Although it’s pretty clear that the Gant Bridge in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas was modeled off of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, many players are unaware that the Garver Bridge in the game is modeled after the Forth Road Bridge, located in Edinburgh, Scotland. Part of the reason for this is because much of the development team was located in Scotland.
2. The name San Andreas was used because the fictional cities and towns in the game are meant to resemble the Los Angeles area in the 1990s. This region sits on the San Andreas Fault, which is a major cause of earthquakes in the area. In the game, the city of San Fierro shows signs that a quake has caused damage and you can even hear about it on the in-game news reports.
3. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas ran into a storm of controversy over something that wasn’t even technically in the game, yet was discovered across all versions. Although not meant to be played in the final product, there was a mini-game included in GTA: San Andreas that allowed the player to guide CJ, the main character, into salacious behavior. This content was not initially playable in the shipped product, but it was found to be accessible as far back as the first versions of the game on PS2. Rockstar Games was then forced to reconfigure and submit new versions of the game in order to avoid further controversy.
4. The voice actor for the main character in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas was by discovered by pure luck. The producers of the game overheard Rapper Young Maylay when they were speaking with a musician about the game’s score. The producers immediately knew that Maylay had the perfect voice for the character and CJ was born.
5. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas was the first and only game in the series to include role-playing elements, including the main character’s need to eat in order to survive. In addition, the player can have the character work out in order to gain strength. This element of the game was not received well, and as a result, Rockstar decided to drop the idea in future Grand Theft Auto games.
Think video games are bad for youngsters? Think again! Check out this article to learn more: Why Video Games Are Good for Kids (and You Too).